Monday, May 14, 2007

Sweatman's Barbecue - Eutawville, SC


Keith and I decided to load up the kids and take an hour and a half ride to the South Carolina mecca of barbecue: Sweatman's in Eutawville. It was quite an experience. The barbecue was good (not as good as Cecil's in Orlando, we agreed), but the atmosphere was something else. We were by far the youngest people in the joint, and most of the other patrons stared at our children like they hadn't seen kids in years!

One of the waitresses was kind enough to show us around back, where the cook was preparing the barbecue over a wood fire pit. They are only open 2 days a week, and go through 20 hogs. Unbelievable! We were glad to try it--so we can say we've been there, but probably won't go again any time soon.




1 comment:

wsmv said...

I found a place to rival Cecil's on Saturday. It's at the East Lake Fish Camp on Boggy Creek Road near Kissimmee. As the name implies, it is on East Lake Tohopekaliga. Best bbq baked beans I have EVER had . . . and you know I've had my share. Whenever y'all come back to the land of orange and blue, I'll treat. Oh, and you didn't tell me you suckered someone into taking a family portrait on Saturday! Very "American Gothic."